Sunday, January 8, 2012

My All Time Favorite Sugar Cookies



I'm sure that you're aware that I'm an avid baker.  I mean, my blog name is "Cupcakerator" for God's sake.  So, when I say that I've found the best sugar cookie recipe I've ever had, you know that it's good.

When I went home to Michigan for Christmas, my step mom, Jean, spent the entire duration of my stay in the kitchen.  This woman is amazing.  She has more cookbooks and recipes than anyone I've ever met.  And my goodness, the memory she has for each recipe is uncanny.  (Just don't distract her while she's working)  So, I should have known that her sugar cookies would be amazing.  I just had no idea just how life changing they'd be.

Normally, when I make sugar cookies,  I need them to be for cutout cookies, and let me tell you right now, I also have a perfect recipe for those.  Note - this recipe is NOT for cutout cookies.  It's pillowy and soft and rises when you bake it.

I begged Jean for the recipe and she sent it to me and today, I finally got around to baking them.  Now, I'll be honest, my oven dial has no numbers on it at all which leads to a lot of trial and error as far as temperature is concerned.  So, the first dozen cookies came out really dry/burnt.  But I adjusted the temperature accordingly and the 5 or so batches after that came out great.

I'm not quite at the level of awesome that this recipe has the potential to reach - I'll admit that.  But despite being a little dryer than I'd hoped, they are still super delicious.  Now, if only I'd planned ahead and not baked 6 dozen cookies on a week that I won't be in the country to enjoy them.

Trust me, the next time I bake these, they will be awesome.

Jean's Sugar Cookies
  • 1 C Sugar
  • 1 C Powdered Sugar
  • 1 C butter, softened
  • 1 C Vegetable Oil
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 4 1/4  C Flour
  • 1 Tsp Baking Soda
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Tsp Cream of Tartar
-In large bowl, cream sugars and butter
-Add oil, then eggs and vanilla
-In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar and add to wet mixture a little at a time
-Once mixed completely, roll into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet
-Flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar and decorate with colored sugars
-Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees


PS - On an unrelated note, if you've ever read my blog before (thank you), you'll surely have noticed that I've redesigned my entire blog and moved from Wordpress over to Blogspot.  So, if you're crazy enough to have the blog bookmarked, you may want to update the link to this new one. Thanks for sticking with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...